Sliced beets give a gorgeous magenta-red hue to this nourishing and satisfying spin on Ukrainian borscht. This recipe is part of the 2018 Food & Nutrition cultural competency series, My Global Table.
Serving size: 2 cups soup, 2¼ tablespoons dill, 2¼ tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt (490 grams)
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 medium beets, peeled and julienned
- 3 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) white wine vinegar
- ½ celeriac, peeled, cut in half and julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers (yellow, orange or red), diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 quarts (2,840 milliliters) no-salt-added vegetable stock
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1¾ cups finely shredded white cabbage
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron pan or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add beets, tomato paste and vinegar. Stir well to combine, then cook over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While beets cook, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add celeriac, carrots, bell pepper and tomatoes and cook over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- Pour stock into a 7-quart Dutch oven and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes, beans, cabbage, bay leaf, garlic, cooked vegetable mixture and beets.
- Cook over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine, then simmer for 30 minutes. Add additional salt to taste.
- Serve hot and top with Greek yogurt, fresh dill and parsley.
Nutrition per serving: 261 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 1mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 17g sugar, 8g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus