Steamed Clams with Andouille, White Beans, and Tomatoes
Recipe developed by Roberta L. Duyff, MS, RDN, FAND, CFCS
Prepared with the robust flavors of Andouille sausage, garlic and red pepper flakes and with health benefits of white beans and tomatoes, these steamed clams are prepared Cajun-style. Served with a fresh garden salad and crusty bread to sop up the spicy broth, steamed claims become an easy, yet elegant main dish for entertaining or leisurely family meals.
3 pounds fresh live small (Manila or small littleneck) clams (in shells)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces Andouille sausage, ham or turkey ham, diced in ¼-inch cubes
4 shallots, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
1 can (15 ounce) white beans (navy, cannellini, Great Northern), rinsed and drained
1 can (14 ½ ounce) unsalted diced tomatoes, un-drained
½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro or flat-leafed parsley*
Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
1 lemon, cut in wedges (for garnish), if desired
- Clean clams about an hour before cooking. Using a vegetable brush, scrub the clams in cold water. Rinse them well in cold water to remove any grit. Discard the water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the Andouille sausage, shallots, and garlic; sauté for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir the red pepper flakes into the mixture; cook for 1 more minute.
- Mix in the chicken broth and wine; bring to a boil. Add the clams, beans, and tomatoes. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, shaking frequently; cook until the clams open. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add the cilantro or parsley. Stir to combine. Season to taste with the freshly-ground pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, portion the clams into 4 large soup plates. Ladle the stew-like broth over the clams. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serves 4.
* Variation: Experiment by flavoring with other fresh herbs from your garden, perhaps basil, chervil, chives, marjoram, oregano, savory or thyme.
Nutrition Information — Serving size: 3/4 pound clams in shell, 1 1/2 cups broth Calories: 562, Total fat: 15g; Sat. fat: 4g; Chol.: 39mg; Sodium: 741mg; Carb.: 76g; Fiber 9g; Sugars: 5g; Protein 33g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A