Slices of kasha-filled chicken breasts make a stylish entrée that can be prepared in advance and baked just before dinner.
Developed by Cindy Gay
- [2 grams] ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- [1 gram] ¼ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
- [7 grams] 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) olive oil
- [35 grams] ¼ cup onion, diced
- [30 grams] ¼ cup carrots, peeled and diced
- [2 grams] 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- [20 grams] ¼ cup white mushroom caps, diced
- [2 grams] ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- [2 grams] ½ teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated
- [45 grams] ¼ cup kasha*
- [190 grams] ¾ cup (180 milliliters) water
- [2 grams] ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- [1 gram] 2 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- [265 grams] 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- [1 gram] ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place cumin, cardamom and coriander seeds on baking sheet and toast at 450°F (233°C) for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Grind spices to a fine texture in a grinder devoted only to spices.
- Pour oil into a nonstick skillet, add onion and carrots and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add ground spices, garlic, mushrooms, ginger and turmeric and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add kasha and water to skillet and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a clean counter. Place one chicken breast on plastic and top with second piece of plastic. Cover with clean towel and pound chicken with smooth side of a mallet. Repeat for second chicken breast.
- Cover each chicken breast with ½ cup kasha mixture, leaving a ½-inch rim around the edges. Roll chicken breast from the long end. Place stuffed chicken breasts seam-side-down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until interior reaches 165°F (74°C). Slice chicken breasts with an electric, carving or serrated knife. Serves 2.
- *To make your own kasha, roast buckwheat groats at 450°F (233°C) for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
Serving size: 1 stuffed chicken breast (175 grams)
CALORIES 228; TOTAL FAT 8g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 73mg; SODIUM 84mg; CARB. 10g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 28g; POTASSIUM 401mg; PHOSPHORUS 243mg