Hearty kabocha squash gets dressed up as a filling “wedge salad” with sweet and savory flavors of dried figs, wilted spinach and creamy goat cheese.
Kabocha Wedge Salad
Developed by Karman Meyer
- [1,690 grams] 1 large kabocha squash
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- [<1 gram] ⅛ teaspoon salt
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- [40 grams] ⅓ cup pecan pieces
- [20 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) maple syrup
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- [170 grams] 6 cups fresh spinach
- [60 grams] ½ cup dried figs, stems removed, roughly chopped
- [30 grams] 1 ounce goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the whole kabocha squash in the microwave and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to soften rind. Carefully cut around the stem with a paring knife to remove stem. Using a large chef’s knife, cut squash in half. Remove seeds, then cut each half into three wedges (for 6 total pieces).
- Place squash on baking sheet skin-side down and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; rub oil into each wedge until coated. Season wedges with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet on middle oven rack and roast for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven, rotate squash on to one side and roast for 10 minutes. Flip wedges to the other side and roast an additional 10 minutes (35 minutes total).
- While squash is roasting, toast pecans in a small skillet over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon or spatula. Pour pecans into a small bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, make vinaigrette by whisking together maple syrup, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Mist a large skillet with cooking spray and cook spinach over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Remove squash from oven and arrange wedges on a serving platter or plate and evenly distribute wilted spinach, dried figs and goat cheese over wedges. Drizzle each wedge with ½ tablespoon vinaigrette and serve immediately. If not serving immediately, keep squash and toppings separate until ready to serve. Squash wedges can be reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds before adding toppings. Serves 6.
Serving size: 1 squash wedge with toppings (260 grams)
CALORIES 248; TOTAL FAT 11g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 4mg; SODIUM 100mg; CARB. 39g; FIBER 11g; SUGARS 7g; PROTEIN 5g; POTASSIUM 1107mg; PHOSPHORUS 142mg
Note: Acorn squash was used in nutrient analysis (edible portion of kabocha squash not available).