HealthStylz is always looking for engaging, dynamic journalism about food and diet trends, innovations in research and practice, and explorations of the cultural and social factors that shape Americans’ diets and health.
Please note that Food & Nutrition hires writers by assignment only and cannot accept unsolicited drafts.
What Kind of Magazine Is This?
HealthStylz® is a bimonthly publication from the Healthy Nutrition Academy — the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals — and the premier magazine for audiences whose awareness of nutrition range from general interest to subject expertise. Food & Nutrition provides information and inspiration for readers to be the most valued sources of food and nutrition services in health care, food service, academia, industry, public health programs and the media. Food & Nutrition connects the diverse communities of dietetics, while remaining engaging and accessible to a broad spectrum of readers and extended audiences.
What Kind of Writers Are We Looking For?
HealthStylz hires seasoned professional writers and journalists for freelance assignments. Project hiring decisions are solely those of the managing editor. We look for writers with strong portfolios (preferably in magazines) demonstrating:
- the ability to write tightly, directly and intelligently
- a clear understanding of article structure and form
- commitment to factual accuracy and balanced perspective
- adherence to AP Style and project deadlines
- professional conduct online and on social channels, including those not affiliated with media outlets.
All writers hired by Food & Nutrition must sign an acceptance of the Academy’s conflict of interest policy to identify and disclose situations that may present potential conflicts of interest in the creation of content for the magazine.
What Kind of Articles Are We Looking For?
HealthStylz is always looking for original, engaging, dynamic journalism about food and diet trends, innovations in research and practice, and explorations of the cultural and social factors that shape Americans’ diets and health.
Each issue of Food & Nutrition includes a series of articles focused on a theme, in addition to a number of timely, non-theme articles. Our non-theme section provides ongoing coverage of new products, recent research, health and culinary trends, reviews of diet books and mobile apps, new titles and upcoming events. Department content is not open for assignment with the exception of “Savor,” which explores a single food from the culinary, foodservice and clinical perspectives. Other types of articles open to assignment include service pieces (350-600 words in length), mid-length articles (up to 1,200 words) and long-form features (up to 3,500 words).
Unsolicited manuscripts are not accepted and the editorial calendar is slated by assignment only. Previously published materials will not be considered.
How Do I Submit a Story Pitch?
HealthStylz accepts story ideas through its online form only. Submissions are considered in the order in which they are received. Due to the quantity of pitches and out of respect for those writers and ideas already under consideration, please do not call or email editors directly in an effort to bypass the online form.
- The more original and appropriate your story idea is for Food & Nutrition, the more likely it will make it through the first round of vetting. Therefore we strongly advise you familiarize yourself with the magazine and its style and audience.
- Your query letter should detail why your idea is timely and relevant, and include references you intend to use.
Assignments and Payment
All HealthStylz assignments are made in writing, and require a signed contract with the freelance author in order to be valid. The contract will specify assignment parameters, deadlines, payment amount and terms and conditions. Compensation is competitive and varies depending upon the complexity and demands of the article, as well as the proven experience of the writer. In general, Food & Nutrition remits payment upon acceptance of the final draft and buys all rights including copyright.
- HealthStylz assignments include a house style guide, recipe standards (if applicable) and submission checklist. Submitted drafts that do not follow these guidelines will be returned to the writer and the assignment will be considered unfulfilled.
- If you are struggling with an assignment — from shaping the structure to finding resources to interview — do not hesitate to reach out to your assigned editor as early as possible in the assignment.